Subject: Vibration

Vibration

From: Bryan Lean <duluthhistory>
Date: Tuesday, October 5, 1999
I am looking for standards for safe levels of vibration in the
museum environment.

My specific problem combines a 100-year-old building, a questionable
Heating, Ventilating, and Air Conditioning system, and priceless
charcoal drawings. It is really not physical vibration as much as
sonic--the air rushing through a couple of 90 degree bends in the
HVAC plenum is to blame.

This seems to be a rare problem since most museum folks are
interested in temperature, humidity, and light.  None of the
earthquake material I have found seems to address artwork.

Although a Seismologist was in to take measurements, he related them
to ISO standards for a medical lab.  I just do not think friable
artwork is similar to hospital equipment.

Bryan P. T. Lean
Manager, Museum Operations
St. Louis County Historical Society
506 West Michigan Street