Subject: Chicago screws

Chicago screws

From: Lucy Commoner <commolu>
Date: Tuesday, October 5, 1999
Janet Edmond <janet_edmond [at] lineone__net> writes

>I am trying to track down a British supplier of "chicago screws"  to
>secure the corners of correx boxes that we will soon make up to
>store individual fans. Can anyone provide further information about
>these "screws" or suggest a different way of securing the corners
>other than staples.

Re: Inquiry about screws for Coroplast or Cor-X: Bill Schoenbaum at
Prestige Plastics 201-569-1800) designs and manufactures coroplast
boxes.  If you have a large quantity of boxes to make, it may be
cost effective to have them made commercially.  Prestige Plastics
also sells a variety of plastic screws and fasteners.  I have
constructed  coroplast boxes at the Museum by simply stitching the
side flaps together.  By first making guide holes using a pin vise,
the stitching process with  heavy gauge linen thread is very easy.

Lucy Commoner
Textile Conservator
Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum
2 East 91st Street