Subject: Displaying works of art in drawers

Displaying works of art in drawers

From: Paul Tear <admin>
Date: Monday, September 27, 1999
    **** Moderator's comments: This query comes from a person who is
    not on the DistList and will not see any responses that are
    posted here.  Please respond directly to sender and if of
    general interest post it here as well

As part of the Wallace Collection's Centenary Project, we are
looking at the possibility of storing and displaying our collection
of miniatures and watercolours, many of which have gouache added to
them, in glass topped drawer units, accessible to the general
public.  We would welcome information from any other institutions
who have considered displaying similar works of art in this way.
Also, we would be interested to know of any research that has been
carried out on similar objects, with respect to their possible
deterioration from opening and shutting of the drawers by members of
the public viewing the objects.

Paul Tear

               Distributed: Thursday, September 30, 1999