Subject: Nitrate negatives

Nitrate negatives

From: Frank A. Reynolds <fr0c>
Date: Thursday, September 23, 1999
We have a metal box in which there are a number of negatives that I
suspect are nitrate.  I have read that one way of testing for
nitrate negatives is by placing a small piece of film in a test tube
of trichloroethylene to see if it sinks when completely wet.  I
understand that trichloroethylene is very toxic, and I can only
obtain a liter of it which is far more than what I need.

    1.  Does anyone know of another testing method of testing for
        nitrate film?

    2.  Is there someplace the will test film (for a reasonable
        fee)?

Frank A. Reynolds
Hunt Institute
Carnegie Mellon University

               Distributed: Thursday, September 30, 1999