Subject: Tinted varnishes

Tinted varnishes

From: Ramona Duncan-Huse <RDuncan>
Date: Friday, September 24, 1999
Elizabeth Jablonski <ejablonski [at] hotmail__com>

>We are interested in learning about the tinting of Acryloid B-72
>varnish with Ciba Geigy or other aniline dyes.

Dyes are much more sensitive to light than are pigments; I have a
lot of experience using Ciba Geigy dyes in under graduate and
graduate school on textile materials. The idea of getting a
transparent tint in a varnish or for inpainting is appealing, but I
wonder about the longevity of the tint.

Ramona Duncan-Huse
Head of Conservation
Indiana Historical Society
450 W. Ohio St.
Indianapolis IN 46202

               Distributed: Thursday, September 30, 1999