Subject: Flood damage at Rocky Mount Children's Museum

Flood damage at Rocky Mount Children's Museum

From: Rachael Perkins <rperkins>
Date: Tuesday, September 28, 1999
A coworker asked me to post this to the list.  For any additional
information please respond directly to the Director of the
Children's Museum or to <jenny [at] amnh__org>.

    I would like to update everyone on the status of the Rocky Mount
    Children's Museum (NC), which has suffered devastating flood
    damage, and ask that anyone who can offer advice to the museum's
    Executive Director, Candy Madrid, to please contact her.  I
    learned from Bonnie Van Dorn at ASTC, who recently spoke to
    Candy, that the museum's building is a complete loss, and that
    15 of the 18 live animals in their collection perished in the
    flood.

    The museum was about to break ground for its largest expansion
    to date, so most of its collections were being stored at another
    site in containers, which floated down the street.  Candy is
    certain that their contents will be wet and mildew and
    bacteria-ridden, and is seeking immediate expertise on how to
    care for everything.  Among the objects in the collection are
    antique toys, handmade wood circus wagons, model trains, dolls
    from around the world, rocks and minerals, bones, Edison wax
    cylinders, and memorabilia.  Although she is trying to get help
    from someone at a local historic or natural history museum, she
    welcomes all advice and assistance. Also, she is working with
    FEMA, insurance representatives and others, and would appreciate
    hearing from someone in the museum field who has been through a
    similar experience.

    Messages may be left for Candy at the Parks and Recreation
    office (252-972-1151). As I mentioned in my original email, the
    tragedy is a personal one as well, since two of the museum's
    staff members lost their homes.  Our hearts go out to them.

    Susanna D'Andrea
    Manager of Member Services Association of Youth Museums

Rachael Perkins Arenstein
Assistant Conservator
Department of Anthropology
American Museum of Natural History
Central Park West at 79th Street
New York, NY  10024
212-769-5447
Fax: 212-769-5334

               Distributed: Thursday, September 30, 1999