Subject: Mud mortar

Mud mortar

From: Latif Ozen <anmedmuz>
Date: Monday, September 20, 1999
Lorraine Schnabel <schnabel [at] johnmilnerassociates__com> writes

>I am looking for recipes for mud/lime mortars to use in stabilizing
>an existing archeological site (brick and stone masonry).

This recipe was developed by Frank G. Matero, Associate Professor of
Architecture in the University of Pennsylvania. Last August, I had a
chance that work with him and apply this recipe on the Neolithic
Period Plasters and Mud Brick of "Catalhoyuk, in Turkey". I hope you
have good results that we had.

    Grout: 4 vol. Fine sieved Sand, 1 vol. Slaked Lime, 4 vol.
    Mikrosphere, 4,5 vol. 10% Primal AC33, mixing properly, and
    applying by syringe.

    Mortar Filler: 1 vol. Hydraulic Lime, 2 vol. Rough sieved sand,
    5% Primal AC33 adding till the mortar become plastic, and
    applying by spatulas.

Latif Ozen
Laboratory for Restoration and Conservation
Museum of Anatolian Civilizations, Ankara, Turkey

               Distributed: Thursday, September 23, 1999