Subject: Adhesive for waterlogged wood

Adhesive for waterlogged wood

From: Amanda Clydesdale <mandyc>
Date: Wednesday, September 8, 1999
Can anyone recommend a reliable, reversible adhesive suitable for
adhering waterlogged timbers that have been treated by the two-stage
PEG method, then freeze-dried?

Colleagues have mentioned an adhesive system of Dutch origin, but I
have had little success so far in tracing this. The timber varies in
size and weight, the smallest being approximately a 1 cm cube, the
largest 25 cm x 18 cm. High MW PEG has also been suggested as an
adhesive, but I have found that this is not as effective as I would
like.

Mandy Clydesdale
AOC Archaeology
The Schoolhouse
4 Lochend Road
Edinburgh EH6 8BR
+44 131 555 4425
Fax: +44 131 555 4426

               Distributed: Thursday, September 16, 1999