Subject: Source for cellulose ethers

Source for cellulose ethers

From: Jane Hinwood <jhinwood>
Date: Sunday, September 5, 1999
Bent Sorensen <beritogbent [at] hotmail__com> on behalf of Kim Travis
<kim.travis [at] slm__admin__ch> writes

>I am having trouble locating a company that has the following
>cellulose ether derivatives:  CMC (sodium carboxymethyl cellulose -
>1 brand name being "Blanose") and HPC (hydroxypropyl cellulose -
>"Klucel" and specifically "G").

I can recommend Univar in the UK.  The address is

    Univar
    Suffolk House
    George Street
    Croydon CR9 3QL
    +44 181 253 8800
    Fax: +44 181 680 0901

I got good samples from them that will last me for a very long time.
They deal in bulk supplies but will send samples.  They have a good
catalogue from Dow - 'Methocel Cellulose Ethers Technical Handbook'
which is very informative.  I recommend reading the Feller, Wilt
'Evaluation of Cellulose Ethers for Conservation,1990' from the
Getty Conservation Institute pp 93-96.

Jane Hinwood
Paper Conservator
Museum Victoria
Melbourne
Australia

               Distributed: Thursday, September 16, 1999