Subject: Mold

Mold

From: Schobernd Beth <beth>
Date: Thursday, September 2, 1999
A faculty member at my institution has suffered a severe mold
outbreak in her home.  She has moved from the apartment where the
outbreak first occurred, but has carried her belongings (and their
mold) with her.  She has mold not only on her books, but also
furniture, paintings, musical instruments, and appliances.  She has
also developed chronic health problems.  Her renters insurance is
refusing to cover the damage since the vast majority of the items
were never actually wet.  I was able to give her advice on books and
paper, but doubt that it will do much good to clean those items and
return them to a contaminated environment.  Can anyone suggest a
source for information that would be more comprehensive in dealing
with her household items?

Beth Schobernd
Preservation Librarian
Milner Library, Illinois State University
Campus Box 8900
Normal IL  61790-8900
309-438-7463
Fax: 309-438-3676