Subject: Polyester film converters

Polyester film converters

From: Mark Vine <100436.3447>
Date: Friday, August 27, 1999
Atwood Cathy <atwooc [at] sosmail__state__mo__us> writes

>We are looking for polyester film converters in order to buy 3 mil
>and 4 mil sheets and rolls.  Sometimes we need film that is a width
>between the 40 and 60 inches that "archival" suppliers handle, and
>sometimes we just need larger quantities than is economical from the
>usual vendors.

One does need to be very careful when obtaining polyester for
archival purposes to ensure that the grade you obtain is completely
inert and free from surface coatings etc. Just because it is
transparent does not mean it is safe for archival preservation
purposes.

There are many grades available from commercial converters which
while suitable for printing and plate making purposes are not
suitable for longterm preservation needs.

Ideally consult with a reliable Conservation Material supplier, they
will be aware of what is and what is not suitable.

Here in the United Kingdom we hold considerable tonnage of the ICI
manufactured Archival quality polyester film grades including both
'0' and '516' grades in 75 & 100 micron (3 & 4 mil).

We provide a cut sheet service supplying packs of 100 sheets in
sizes from 1 inch square through to 60 inches square, users can buy
a small amount at a reasonable cost rather than tonnage.

We also carry stocks of all the thicknesses in roll form form and
unlike most commercial converters offer single rolls in small
lengths. Our Springfield, Virginia site offers a similar service.

Mark G. Vine
Managing Director
Conservation Resources (UK) Ltd
Cowley, Oxford OX4  2RD
+44 1865 747755
Fax : +44 1865 747035

               Distributed: Wednesday, September 1, 1999