Subject: Sulfur content of photocopy paper

Sulfur content of photocopy paper

From: Richard Wood <ah>
Date: Thursday, August 26, 1999
When researching old photographs, I make photocopies of information
that should stay with the photograph being researched.  I am tempted
to put the photocopies in the same sleeve with the photograph.  Has
anyone looked at the chemicals, such as sulfur, in standard
photocopy paper?  I would like to know if standard photocopy paper
is safe for storage close to 19th, and early 20th century,
photographs.  Are there chemicals in archival photocopy paper that
would damage photographs? It would be difficult to carry around
archival paper at all times. Thanks,

Dick Wood

                 Distributed: Thursday, August 26, 1999