Subject: Earthquake in Turkey

Earthquake in Turkey

From: Yasar Ersoy <yersoy>
Date: Saturday, August 21, 1999
Since many colleagues and friends from Britain and U.S.A got in
touch with me during the past three days, I now feel obliged to
update the information released by Glenn Wharton. As we experience
an incredible tragedy and devastation caused by the earthquake, it
is reported that 35000 people are still buried underneath ruined
buildings (10200 died, 35000 injured). Humanitarian aid from various
countries including Switzerland, Japan, Austria, France, Germany,
Mexico, North Korea, Azerbaycan, Northern Republic of Cyprus, UK,
USA, Russia and many others have arrived in Istanbul. However our
hopes for more people to be rescued alive gradually decrease after
four days, for the temperatures are being high in this region (34
deg. C) and the speed of the rescue operations cannot compete with
the number of buildings so far ruined. Finally, there are thousands
of people in Istanbul, Yalova, Golcuk, Adapazari, Izmit and Kocaeli
who are now homeless.

As I said to my friends earlier, rest of Turkish people who are not
effected by the earthquake die a little too.
May your thoughts be with us and especially with those who lost their
lives and families.

Dr. Hande Kokten Ersoy

                 Distributed: Tuesday, August 24, 1999