Subject: Ivory

Ivory

From: Jens Kauth <jenskauthd>
Date: Tuesday, August 17, 1999
I am posting this letter on behalf of a colleague, Eva Gonzalez
Sales:

    I would like to ask if someone has experience on "animal pest"
    and damage on ivory.

    1.  I am inventorying ivory objects which are kept in a quite
        cold storage room usually in darkness. Most of the pieces
        lodge very small light-white animals that run under their
        base. A good number of the objects have not been cleaned for
        at least 50 years (when not longer). They are uncovered on a
        table over an old felt fabric. I am not sure that the
        animals come due to the ivory or due to their surround.
        Could someone give me a tip of what sort of insect they
        could be, what is their effect and how to get rid of them?

    2.  Some of the pieces present old holes (damage?) on their
        bases, very similar to those done by woodworm. I do not
        think it has anything to do with porosity or grain of the
        material. Does anyone know about it?

    3.  How can the ivory be cleaned?

    A good book title on ivory care is very good welcome. Thank you
    in advance,

    Eva Gonzalez Sales

                  Distributed: Friday, August 20, 1999