Subject: Courses on book repair and restoration

Courses on book repair and restoration

From: Gudrun Aurand <aurandg>
Date: Thursday, August 19, 1999
In September/October, I will give classes on Saturdays and Sundays
in my new, as-of-yet-only-warm-weather studio. The number of
participants for each class is limited  to 8. If you want to take a
class with a particular group of people, please let me know and a
special session may be arranged.

Class 1. Bookmaking

Make one book as a blank journal or model for future book projects.
Boards will be covered with paste paper. As paper is folded in
preparation for sewing I will talk about properties of paper.
Textblock will be sewn on tapes linking threads in the tradition of
German trade bindings. Tapes and sewing remain uncovered exploiting
their decorative features. A secondary sewing may be used to weave
patterns and add trinkets.

Non adhesive textblock, tapes and endsheets adhered to boards. I
will talk about how a fabric of one's choice may be prepared to use
as cover material.

All materials will be provided. You may bring a pencil, a pad for
notes, a ruler, scissors, two rags,tools that seem useful. Trinkets:
items with holes or loops to be fastened to the sewing on the spine.

5 hrs plus lunch break
10:00 - 15:00
Tuition $42.00
Materials $8.00
Total $50.00
Sunday, September 5,
Saturday, September 18
Sunday, Oct. 3

Class 2. Paper/Document Repair

Learn how to mend paper based pages and documents with wheat starch
paste and japanese paper. You may bring a document with tears or
holes to work on . General instruction and individual help will be
given. All materials will be provided.

3 hrs
10:00 - 13:00
Tuition $30.00
Materials $5.00
Total $35.00
Sunday, September 26

Class 3. Paste Paper

Learn how to make paste decorated paper. Paste Papers were one of
the earliest forms of decorative papers. They were prepared and used
by German Bookbinders for both cover papers and endsheet papers from
the 16th thru the 18th centuries. In this process designs are worked
into a special preparation of paste and dye that has been spread on
paper. Most beautiful and decorative designs can be created just
using your fingers. Make smaller sheets or use them to experiment to
then create your own two large sheets of gift wrapping paper. All
materials provided. You may bring papers of your choice to
experiment with. Evaluation. You may bring items to create
designs/impressions with (like cookie cutter rollers)

3 hrs
10:00 - 13:00
Tuition $30.00
Materials $5.00
Total $35.0
Saturday, September 4
Sunday, September 19

If desired, classes may be scheduled later in October.

Gudrun Aurand
Bookbinder/Conservator
Pullman, WA

                  Distributed: Friday, August 20, 1999