Subject: Masks

Masks

From: Mauray Toutloff <mtoutlof>
Date: Tuesday, August 10, 1999
Does anyone have any suggestions for the repair and stabilization of
cedar bark on ethnographic masks? We have approximately a dozen
North West Coast masks with attached cedar bark, in a traveling
exhibit. The cedar bark is proving to be very fragile. In some cases
the cedar bark has come off of the masks and has been collected from
the bottom of exhibit cases. Much of the literature available on the
preservation and repair of cedar bark involves the uses of patches
(either of Japanese tissue, silk crepeline or stabiltex) applied to
individual strands of bark with a suitable adhesive. Because of the
hundreds of strands of cedar bark on each of the masks and the short
time between exhibition venues this method is not entirely practical
for our traveling masks. I would appreciate any input on this
matter.

Mauray K. Toutloff
Conservation Intern
Royal British Columbia Museum