Subject: Halon

Halon

From: Julie Laufferburger <jlauffenburger>
Date: Wednesday, August 11, 1999
I am interested in finding out if anyone has had experience with a
Halon discharge within a textile or other storage facility.  The
Walters Art Gallery is undergoing a major renovation and yesterday,
the contractors mistakenly cut the wrong wire causing the Halon to
discharge without warning. Fortunately just about everything in our
Textile storage is covered because of dust from the renovations.
When we entered the storage area it was very hazy. After the room
was properly aired we went in to assess the situation. There was a
very fine buff-colored dust or powder over all exposed surfaces. It
is difficult for us to say whether this is strictly from the
renovation work or if it is in some way related to the Halon
discharge. Does anyone have any experience or information with Halon
and collections. I realize that Halons is an "inert" gas but have
also read that it can create acidic gases upon discharge and am
wondering if this dusty residue is a hazard to people or the
collections ?

Julie Lauffenburger
Objects Conservator
The Walters Art Gallery