Subject: Oil paint on paper

Oil paint on paper

From: Robien van Gulik <rgulik>
Date: Friday, August 13, 1999
The following is posted on behalf of Marike Nassy

    Hereby I'd like to thank everyone who responded to my questions
    about oil paint on paper (Conservation DistList Instance: 12:76,
    Friday, March 26, 1999). The paper of the object I worked on was
    not as brittle as it seemed at first and lining wasn't
    necessary. The actual treatment consisted of repairing tears and
    creases, applying a false margin and mounting the object in a
    window mount. I used a water-based adhesive (MC and wheat starch
    paste); this could be used safely and had enough adhesive power
    on the oil stained paper. After research I decided that removal
    of bloom on the paint layer wasn't necessary nor possible
    without damaging the paint.

    Marike Nassy

                  Distributed: Monday, August 16, 1999