Subject: Onsite microfilming

Onsite microfilming

From: Jennifer Kitchel <jkitchel>
Date: Thursday, August 5, 1999
Karen Brown <kebrown [at] nedcc__org> writes

>We had a recent inquiry here at NEDCC which we were unable to
>answer.  A public institution in the New York area is looking for a
>microfilm service, preferably one that can offer "preservation"
>quality results, who will come on-site to do the filming for them.

Here at the Tennessee State Library and Archives we microfilm not
only our own material, but that of the counties--onsite--and other
institutions. (Cemetery records for example.) We don't charge for
the service, but we do keep a copy of the microfilm for the
library's use.  I suggest that the public institution mentioned
contact the New York State Library and ask them if they have a
similar policy. If nothing else, they should be able to recommend a
reputable service.

Jennifer Bruer Kitchel
Documents Conservator
Tennessee State Library & Archives