Subject: Microfilm resolution

Microfilm resolution

From: Gary Saretzky <saretzky>
Date: Thursday, August 5, 1999
I suggest that Peberdy Warwick take a look at Lisa Fox's book,
Preservation Microfilming, 2nd ed., 1996 (ISBN 0-8389-0653-2). Fox
describes how guidelines should be set for "Resolving Power"
(resolution multiplied by reduction ratio), rather than resolution
alone.  Resolving Power should be 120 or above.

I'm not familiar with the term "flow camera" in the question, but
assume that it means what we call "rotary camera" in the United
States, in which the paper is fed into the camera, rather than a
planetary camera, in which the paper is placed manually under the
lens.  At the Monmouth County Archives, we average a resolution of
6.1 at 24x reduction with a 16mm rotary camera.

Gary D. Saretzky, Coordinator, Public History Internship Program,
Rutgers University; Archivist, Monmouth County, New Jersey; Chair,
NJ Caucus, Mid-Atlantic Regional Archives Conference

                 Distributed: Tuesday, August 10, 1999