Subject: Accreditation

Accreditation

From: Clare Hampson <clare>
Date: Thursday, August 5, 1999
The following is posted on behalf of Kate Colleran, IPC Chair

    The tone and content of Mr Todd's posting does injustice to the
    IPC.  His colleague and I have had long and enthusiastic
    discussions on closer cooperation between framers and the IPC.
    The IPC's Liaison Committee Member has also written to the same
    colleague and recently visited his workshop.  We are now
    awaiting further discussions and nominations from the framers to
    take matters further.

    IPC's Liaison Committee Members as absolutely right in saying
    that framers cannot be accredited at this stage as no
    methodology of assessment exists and those available to
    conservators are not applicable to framers.  Our Liaison Officer
    did not suggest that Mr Todd's colleague should get a
    conservation degree.  Mr Todd should read our Fast Track
    Accreditation papers and could now avail himself to study its
    successor developed by the Joint Accreditation Group, of which
    IPC is a member.  (See CV Horie's posting on Accreditation). He
    would have discovered that a degree is not the only route to
    accreditation. Experienced conservators without degrees qualify
    for accreditation, most of them have already applied for the
    IPC's Fast Track.  For the record: newly qualified graduates are
    not automatically accredited.

    We all agree that the professional standard of framers need to
    be addressed. Sustained dialogue, the development of training
    packages and of assessment methodologies for framers should be
    the joint aims of our organisations.  These are best pursued
    around a table and not through the pages of the Cons DistList.

    Kate Colleran
    <information [at] ipc__org__uk>

                 Distributed: Tuesday, August 10, 1999