Subject: Funori

Funori

From: Michael Maggen <maggen>
Date: Sunday, August 1, 1999
Christine Smith <capi [at] erols__com> writes

>In a recent posting about preparing funori for consolidation of
>media on paper, I neglected to mention that the funori *must* be
>heated in a double boiler.  Otherwise, you won't be able to keep it
>at a high, but below boiling temperature, long enough to extract the
>mucilage.

I found that baby's bottle heater (which can be purchased at any
pharmacy or babys stores at a relative low cost) are very easy to
use for funori or gelatine, heat can regulate to keep the solution
in the right liquid consistency

Michael Maggen
Senior Paper Conservator
The Israel Museum Jerusalem