Subject: Floor coverings

Floor coverings

From: David Wexler <david>
Date: Sunday, August 1, 1999
Eleonore Kissel <kissel [at] compuserve__com> writes

>I am currently working on a preservation project at Makerere
>University Library in Kampala, Uganda. One component of the
>programme addresses pest control in the building housing the Main
>Library, which has cork floors. It had been recognised that the
>floor covering should be replaced, as the tiles are in poor
>condition and favour insect infestations.
>
>I am in the process of investigating the drawbacks and advantages of
>various floor coverings.

During a recent expansion of Hollywood Vaults we use with great
success a PVC floor covering product made by a company call LONSEAL.
Their products came in many colors, sizes and embossed patterns in
both titles and rolls. <URL:http://www.lonseal.com/>  It is somewhat
forgiving to dropped items.  Works well as a vapor barrier and has
little or no off gassing as far as we can tell.  We used an epoxy to
glue it to a concrete floor and have had no off gassing from the
epoxy either.  The room was able to breath for several months after
the installation of the flooring during which time we were
installing the extensive high-density mobile shelving system.  By
the time we started up the vault room there was no trace of flooring
smell.  Unlike some flooring products which seem to smell forever.
It looks great, easy to clean with vacuum or dry mop and so far
wears well.  Worth looking into, or better yet, standing on.  Best
of luck,

David Wexler, Pres
Hollywood Vaults Inc
Preservation-Quality Storage