Subject: Floor finishes

Floor finishes

From: Pete Sixbey <psixbey>
Date: Thursday, July 29, 1999
I am a conservator in the Midwest looking for
options/recommendations for floor finishes that can be applied to
historic floors that will be durable and will adhere well to
existing old finish(probably a urethane) and possibly be easily
reversible, though I won't hold my breath on that one. The old
finish is very worn (down to bare wood in areas) and flaking-up. My
goal is to remove this finish to the extent possible without
removing wood(either mechanically or possibly chemically) and
applying a new finish. There will undoubtedly be residues of old
finish left in the grain of the wood. Durability is a factor because
of high traffic use throughout the house. Does anyone have
experience with this problem? I would appreciate any suggestions,

                   Distributed: Friday, July 30, 1999