Subject: Floor coverings

Floor coverings

From: Eleonore Kissel <kissel>
Date: Thursday, July 29, 1999
I am currently working on a preservation project at Makerere
University Library in Kampala, Uganda. One component of the
programme addresses pest control in the building housing the Main
Library, which has cork floors. It had been recognised that the
floor covering should be replaced, as the tiles are in poor
condition and favour insect infestations.

I am in the process of investigating the drawbacks and advantages of
various floor coverings. I have of course searched the Conservation
DistList Archives, which reveal that the choice of a floor covering
suitable for preservation (i.e., minimal off-gassing of products
harmful to the users and/or the collections) and high traffic (as it
is in a research library) is indeed a concern for many of us. Ease
of maintenance, cost, availability in East Africa and good looks are
additional criteria for selection, which does not make the job any
easier!

I will conduct the survey with the help of several colleagues
involved in conservation or facilities management, investigating the
physical (including phonic isolation) and chemical properties of
several generic products, before looking at specific commercial
brands : natural rubber; natural cork; glazed cork; linoleum;
concrete, uncoated; concrete, coated with epoxy; PVC. I am also told
good quality acrylic floor coverings exist on the market.

I would be very grateful to anyone who could add floor coverings
unlisted above, or provide information on the topic. You may reply
to the DistList or my private e-mail address. I shall send a summary
sheet with all relevant findings to the DistList when the survey has
been completed, hopefully by early September.

Thank you for your help, much appreciated as always,

Eleonore Kissel
Paper Conservator
79, rue Charlot
75003 Paris France