Subject: Funori

Funori

From: Christine Smith <capi>
Date: Wednesday, July 28, 1999
In a recent posting about preparing funori for consolidation of
media on paper, I neglected to mention that the funori *must* be
heated in a double boiler.  Otherwise, you won't be able to keep it
at a high, but below boiling temperature, long enough to extract the
mucilage.  You can stick a thermometer in the inner,
funori-containing vessel to tell you when it is approaching the
boiling point: you must remove it from the heat before that point.

Use a double-boiler set-up both when preparing the initial solution
and then when using it later.

I apologize for any frustration I may have caused by failing to
include that detail.

Christine Smith
Conservation of Art on Paper, Inc.
703-836-7757