Subject: Community involvement in conservation

Community involvement in conservation

From: Neal Putt <np>
Date: Wednesday, July 28, 1999
Regarding Muriel Ebert-Gomes request for information about
conservation work involving the community, some references I have
are:

    Ours for Keeps. A resource pack for raising awareness of
    conservation and collections care. Museums and Galleries
    Commission, United Kingdom, 1997.

    "Learning to Preserve: Preservation Workshop/Expo Draws
    Hundreds". Library of Congress Information Bulletin, May 13,
    1996, pp. 182-185. (The Workshop/Expo of 1997 was posted on Cons
    DistList by Amparo R. de Torres, <ator [at] loc__gov>)

    Stoner, Joyce Hill. "Conservation Centre Stage" in Museum News,
    USA, May/June 1997.

    SOS! Maintenance Information Kit/Save Outdoor Sculpture.
    National Institute for the Conservation of Cultural Property,
    Washington, 1996. (Information also available from
    <URL:http://www.heritagepreservation.org/PROGRAMS/SOS/sosmain.htm>

    Conservation for Your Private Collections, Free Conservation
    Information Sheet. Preservation and Storage Division, State
    Library of Victoria, Australia. (Information on further
    publications and the Conservation Enquiry Line and also
    available at
    <URL:http://www.slv.vic.gov.au/slv/conservation/> or
    <charlott [at] slv__vic__gov__au>

    Media Save Art, ICCROM, 1996 etc. (Information on the 1999 Media
    Save Art International Press Competition also available at
    www.iccrom.org, or on all Media Save Art projects
    <MA [at] iccrom__org>)

    Your Past, Our Future, The Conservation of Historic Buildings.
    Accademia Italiana and English Heritage 1993

Of all the references I have given, the most extensive is probably
Ours for Keeps?, since it gathers ideas from many sources.

Of course, members of the public pay for all conservation, and so
are always involved. Involvement in decision-making, learning from
or enjoying conservation, or benefiting from the results, is much
more variable, but there are so many wonderful examples. I ask Ms.
Ebert-Gomes, if she has received any answers to her inquiry outside
the online DistList, could she please post a summary.

I have been disappointed previously when people have used the
DistList to run a survey or collect examples world-wide, and then
have failed to share results with us. I feel there is a
responsibility to report back after people have spent time
responding to requests. Thank you,

Neal Putt
Coordinator of Preventive Conservation
ICCROM