Subject: Biocontaminants

Biocontaminants

From: Jane Dalley <brad_froggatt>
Date: Saturday, July 24, 1999
I am working with a museum salvaging its mixed collection from a
damp and mouse-infested basement storage area.  Penicillium,
Acremonium, Cladosporium, Aspergillus and Rhizopus have been
identified, in concentrations between 7,500 and 1,200,000 colony
forming units per square centimeter.  Exposure to Hantavirus
syndrome from the large mouse infestation has been deemed possible
though unlikely.

City and Provincial health officials have taken the stance (and
rightly so) that health and safety concerns are the first priority.
The building is being rehabilitated through structural remediation,
biocontaminant removal and disinfection.  The collections have been
removed from the basement following Level 3 Containment procedures
and are now stored off-site awaiting a decision on the suitability
of the rehabilitated storage area and the feasibility of their
salvage.

It is this last issue that concerns me at the moment. The non-porous
inorganic artefacts may be treatable, but it will be difficult to
remove biocontaminants from porous organic artefacts such as
textiles and leather. Artefacts will be assessed against criteria
such as value, ownership, relevance, cost of treatment and effect of
treatment.  Some may not be considered worth preserving.

Before we throw the baby out with the bath water, I would like to
hear from other conservators/heritage professionals on how they have
approached the salvage of a mixed collection under similar
conditions.  Confidentiality will be respected, but I do like to
share useful information whenever possible.

Jane Dalley, Conservator

                   Distributed: Monday, July 26, 1999