Subject: Binder's board

Binder's board

From: George R. Leake III <taliesin>
Date: Friday, July 23, 1999
Ursula Kolmstetter <ukolmstetter [at] ima-art__org> writes:

>... assumed that they are acid-free. But they are not.  Our conservator
>for works on paper did a test and found that they are not acid-free.

Niccolo Caldararo <caldararo [at] aol__com> responds:

>... We did note that many
>of the older boxes made of binders' board in the collection did not
>show signs of degradation, but then these boxes had been made 30 to
>60 years prior and their manufacturers were, with few exceptions, no
>longer in existence.

A minor point here that might be useful to many: there is a product
sold by a handful of vendors called "Acid-Free Binders Board" or
similar name, that is widely believed to be manufactured by Davey
Co. It should be pointed out there is one Binder's Board product on
the market that is superior to this product, though unfortunately
only sold by one vendor: it is a product that is Lignin-free and
sold as "Binder Boards" by Conservation Resources, and made also by
Davey Co. See the CRI catalogue for more technical information.

George Leake
HRHRC Conservation Dept.
UT Austin

                   Distributed: Monday, July 26, 1999