Subject: Exhibiting watermarked papers

Exhibiting watermarked papers

From: George Schwartz <george>
Date: Friday, July 23, 1999
Exhibiting watermarked papers, I may be able to offer some
suggestions on this topic, since I have had to solve the very same
problem for the Canadian Pulp and Paper Association some years ago,
when they mounted an exhibition of early, one of a kind papers
through some modern, commercial paper samples.

As a general caveat, you must bear in mind, that paper (like all
cellulose based material) degrades from exposure to light (and
heat), UV component or not. The damage is in direct proportion to
the exposure received (time * intensity + spectrum). Depending on
the ambient light levels in the exhibit area, the relative
translucency of the individual artifacts and the projected length of
the desired display, you may be subjecting these papers to
unacceptable levels of exposure, and may need to re-think the
elements of the project.

Your ultimate solution will depend on some, or all of the following
factors:

    *   First and foremost the expandability of the artifacts to be
        displayed. Disposable papers will not require the same
        treatment as rare historic ones.

    *   Ambient light levels in the exhibition area.

    *   Relative translucency of the individual samples.

    *   Length of the display.

    *   Facilities and the venue of the exhibit.

There are numerous solutions to your problem and I would be happy to
discuss my related experiences with you directly, and perhaps you
can post your final conclusions and methods you chose to employ on
the List, so that we may all benefit. Feel free to contact me at you
convenience,

George Schwartz
ConservArt
8177 Glades Rd #16