Subject: Methyl methacrylate

Methyl methacrylate

From: Olaf Pung <olaf_pung>
Date: Wednesday, July 14, 1999
As some people misunderstood my question about MMA, I would like to
define it more exactly: I'm searching for an adhesive based on
methyl methacrylate-monomer, which can be cold-cured by
activator/starter system. This means a two component system, which
cures with minimal shrinkage. It should be used for the reassembly
of broken stone objects in museum environment. Problems of the
available adhesives are:

    *   they contain bifunctional acrylate groups--this leads to
        crosslinked adhesives that can not be softened by organic
        solvents or heat after curing

    *   they contain plasticizers like phthalates, which are unwanted
        in resins for art conservation

Now I'm searching for products without these components.

Olaf Pung
Conservation of Stone Objects
Fachhochschule Hildesheim, Germany

                  Distributed: Thursday, July 22, 1999