Subject: Binder's board

Binder's board

From: Ursula Kolmstetter <ukolmstetter>
Date: Tuesday, July 13, 1999
    **** Moderator's comments:
    This query comes from a person who is not on the DistList and
    will not see any responses that are posted here.  Please respond
    directly to sender.

Here at the Library of the Indianapolis Museum of Art one of the
volunteers is an expert in binding. She binds pamphlets and
brochures in acid-free binders (from University Products) and
repairs books. She binds also magazines and periodicals.  We get the
material for binding magazines from LBS in Des Moines, Iowa. The
Boards we use are called " Acid-Phree Davey Binders Boards" and we
assumed that they are acid-free. But they are not.  Our conservator
for works on paper did a test and found that they are not acid-free.
We called the company. They told us that the boards contain some
kind of buffer to keep the (containing) acidity from reacting.

They could not tell us for how long--6 months, one year, 5 years,
who knows? I wanted to address this issue with you because I know
that many libraries and/or binding companies use this product from
LBS. I would appreciate any feedback on this issue.

Best regards,
Ursula Kolmstetter
Head Librarian

                  Distributed: Tuesday, July 13, 1999