Subject: Phosphine gas

Phosphine gas

From: Hilda Abreu Utermohlen <hilda>
Date: Saturday, July 10, 1999
I am participating in a project for a new cultural center that will
house different types of collections. Part of the collection will be
stored temporarily for three years in a room inside a warehouse for
storing food products until the museum is built (Already provisions
are being taken for providing an appropriate climate control,
security, etc.). As I was visiting the place, the warehouse was
being prepared for their routine fumigation with phosphine gas, so
they considered also fumigating as a preventive measure several
boxes with books that were already in storage. I recommended not to
do it right away, and suggested other ways of pest eradication if
needed, such as by anoxic treatment. Therefore, I would appreciate
any information on the uses an effects of phosphine gas on cultural
artifacts.

Hilda Abreu Utermohlen
Private Conservator
809-537-3300