Subject: Steamers

Steamers

From: Michael Maggen <maggen>
Date: Saturday, July 10, 1999
Shelley Jamieson <shelley.jamieson [at] natlib__govt__nz> writes

>I would be interested in any recommendations or comments regarding
>the performance of steamers.

We are very happy the last two years since we bought our Jefry
steamer from Conservation by Design, England. The steamer is easy to
operate it will produce nice steam in a relative short time, the
steam can be regulated to give dry or high humidity and no "spits"
or leaks, the water container capacity will provide a relative long
working time, the only one disadvantage I found is that this
equipment does not have a container water level indicator (only an
alert signal when you ran out of water) and when ever you out of
water while working you`ll need to wait more than half an hour until
the container temperature will go down before refilling, any attempt
to refill before head will results with a "geyser effect", so it
will be wise to have in mind how much water reserve in the container
to plan the work duration.

    **** Moderator's comments: Conservation by Design's web site
    <URL:http://www.conservation-by-design.co.uk/> lists a couple of
    steamers, but nothing under "Jefry" (or other possible spellings
    thereof), perhaps they no longer carry this product.

Michael Maggen
Senior Paper Conservator
The Israel Museum Jerusalem
POB 71117