Subject: Corrugated cardboard packaging

Corrugated cardboard packaging

From: Martin R. Carbone <mrcinc>
Date: Thursday, July 1, 1999
Background: I have three patents on tabletop boxmaking systems for
cardstock up to about .050" thick and three of our system are
currently being sold in the craft market at about $20 each.(about
200,000 sold to-date). Any material can be used to make the
boxes--including archival materials. I have just applied for another
patent that allows the user to make boxes out of  corrugated sheets
(preprinted with a universal boxmaking pattern) with only a razor
knife, a marking pencil and a tabletop--no other tools--not even a
tape measure is needed.

Questions:

    1.  Does regular corrugated cardboard have any useful
        application in museums and libraries for storage and
        shipping?

    2.  Is corrugated cardboard generally harmful for storage of
        artifacts?

    3.  Can someone direct me to a good printed reference source
        that tells about the hazards of corrugated cardboard in the
        field of conservation?

    4.  Would there be a market for corrugated cardboard made of
        archival paper--with an archival adhesive?

    5.  Same questions as above--except for corrugated plastic
        sheets now on the market.

All advice will be appreciated.

Martin R. Carbone
1227 De La Vina St.