Subject: Lab lighting

Lab lighting

From: Lynn Campbell <lynn.campbell>
Date: Monday, June 28, 1999
I have a question on the use of daylight for retouching of oil
paintings. We are in the process of planning for a new provincial
art gallery and there has been some discussion on the use of an
oriel window which is made up of glass.  This juts out from the
building on the first floor to the outside so that people can view
the conservator at work. I have a few concerns regarding this:

    1.  Light coming from all directions.
        Wouldn't this affect the painting and the retoucher?
    2.  Wouldn't there be lots of radiant heat?
    3.  Who wants to be on show in a glass case?

My feeling is that normal windows would be much more effective. If
any oil painting conservator, or any other conservator, for that
matter have any thoughts on the subject I would be grateful. Or if
any one who has recently set up a laboratory can assist or give any
comments I would find useful it would be much appreciated. Many
thanks,

Lynn Campbell
Conservator

                 Distributed: Wednesday, June 30, 1999