Subject: Storing a stuffed animal head

Storing a stuffed animal head

From: Burt Altman <baltman>
Date: Friday, June 25, 1999
In our collection of memorabilia items, we have the mounted head of
a Jackalope, which has been stuffed.

Our jackalope is the head of a jackrabbit that has been mounted (by
a taxidermist?) onto a wooden plaque. Antlers have been affixed to
the head of the rabbit and one of the antlers has come loose. It has
real rabbit fur, real antlers, on a plaque made of wood. We want to
store this item to protect it and, for preservation concerns, keep
it separated from the other memorabilia items in the collection.

For other international readers on the list, perhaps the following
context may be helpful:

This is from <URL:http://www.lafayette.edu/~hollidac/jackalope.html>

We were wondering if anyone has any recommendations for the proper
storage and preservation of such a biological artifact?

Burt Altman
Pepper Librarian and Archivist
Claude Pepper Library
636  West Call Street