Subject: Offgassing from plywood shelving

Offgassing from plywood shelving

From: Claudius Schettini <claudius>
Date: Thursday, June 17, 1999
I am currently working on a project for a science library in
Florence which involves cleaning and moving circa 3500 rare books to
the new premises. There will be no air cleaning system besides
normal ventilation and heating. The brand new shelving chosen will
be all in veneer-covered plywood with an "antique" design and those
involved are worried with formaldehyde offgassing from its almost
200 linear meters. Ms Jaeschke mentions the spider plant as being of
help in absorbing formaldehyde gas. I wonder whether anyone on the
list could provide the scientific name of this plant besides any
other helpful information on how to deal with the problem. The
books will be transferred to the new shelving only two months after
assemblage in the rooms.

Claudius Schettini
Book and Paper Conservator

                   Distributed: Monday, June 21, 1999