Subject: Insurance

Insurance

From: N. J. Bud Goldstone <as768>
Date: Friday, June 4, 1999
Dominique Rogers <do [at] pepin__demon__co__uk> writes

>I am conducting some research for an article on "Insurance and the
>Restorer/Conservator", I would be grateful for good and bad stories
>on this subject from insurers, collectors, curators, dealers and
>restorers/conservators.

Please add the following thought to my note on Insurance and how to
avoid paying for insurance which you can not benefit from
(Conservation DistList Instance: 12:94, Friday, June 4, 1999). After
telling the truth about the value of the art works on which you
practice conservation you will get a large estimate for coverage of
professional liability. What I then did was take it to my customer
and ask for an addition to my contract equal to the cost of the
insurance. When the customer would not pay the large sum, I got a
hold harmless agreement so that I did not need the insurance and
could not be held responsible. Sorry about the omission in my
previous note but in ten years, insurance had become an emotional
issue in my life! Bud Goldstone

N. J. Bud Goldstone
Conservation Engineer - Watts Towers & Las Pozas
co-author The Los Angeles Watts Towers a Getty Publication

                 Distributed: Wednesday, June 16, 1999