Subject: Radioactive graphite bricks

Radioactive graphite bricks

From: Mary Fahey <maryf>
Date: Thursday, June 3, 1999
While I agree with much of the recent discussion concerning the
importance of preserving materials that have scientific value. I
believe that the safety of museum staff and visitors must be the
first priority.

Our collections include a large variety of materials and chemicals
that were collected by Thomas Edison for his Fort Meyers Laboratory.
Over the past 15 years we have made the decision to deaccession and
dispose of a variety of materials based upon their chemical
instability. It is imperative that Conservators and Curators work
together with their insurance companies, OSHA and local officials
(ex. Fire Marshals) to carefully assess their long term ability to
safely store hazardous collections. It is also important to address
problems that could arise in the event of a fire or other natural
disaster.

Mary M. Fahey
Director of Preservation Management
Henry Ford Museum & Greenfield Village