Subject: Permanence of images

Permanence of images

From: Maria Esteva <patrimon>
Date: Tuesday, June 1, 1999
For a show we need to exhibit an important number of photographs Our
budget is limited and since it will be a permanent exhibit (10
years) we  will use black and white reproductions in different
formats, from standard ones to very big blowups. It is cheaper to
scan the image and blow it up with the plotter. The problem is that
some companies only guarantee 2 or 3 years of colour stability and
others 5, after which the images will start changing colour, even
when they will be coated with UV filters and the general lights of
the exhibition will be carefully controlled. But of course in case
of reproductions we want the people to be able to see them . We can
do photographic reproductions in black and white that we know will
be more stable, but the cost is double or more. We are in a dilemma..

I know that Rita Koskivita is doing research on the inks for digital
reproduction of images though I do not have her email address nor
fax number. I would like to know if any of you has information or
experience in this matter.

Maria Esteva
Conservator
Fundacion Antorchas