Subject: BTA residues on archaeological collections

BTA residues on archaeological collections

From: Stephen Koob <koobsp>
Date: Friday, May 28, 1999
safety issue of BTA residues on archaeological collections, I will
be presenting a paper on BTA in the Objects Group Session of the AIC
Meeting in St. Louis, June 11.  The abstracts for that session were
coincidentally listed on the same Conservation DistList (Instance:
12:91) as your inquiry.

If the objects treated with BTA have been lacquered, there is no
problem whatsoever.  If the objects have not been coated, but have
been rinsed, there is no problem.  If the objects have not been
rinsed, they can be rinsed in ethanol, without affecting the BTA
protective coating.  Wear appropriate gloves for handling objects,
especially in ethanol.  In my opinion, the toxicity of ethanol is a
bigger concern than that of benzotriazole.

Stephen Koob
Conservator
The Corning Museum of Glass
One Corning Glass Center