Subject: Leather wine container

Leather wine container

From: Vanessa Roth <vanessaroth>
Date: Saturday, May 22, 1999
I have been asked to pass on this enquiry on the behalf of the
conservators at the Cyprus Museum.

The conservators would like to reshape a creased and flattened
leather wine container.  I was not able to get a close look at the
leather but it appears to be sueded, probably semi or vegetable
tanned.  The inside of the container is thought to be coated with
bitumen or tar.  The conservators had tried to humidify the
container using a household humidifier.  This treatment caused the
inner coating to solubilise and begin to stain the leather, and was
discontinued.  The outside was then partially coated with Vaseline
Intensive Care lotion (containing glycerine etc.) in an attempt to
soften the leather. Any advice on treating this artefact or details
on the construction of leather wine containers would be appreciated.

Vanessa

                   Distributed: Tuesday, May 25, 1999