Subject: Long-term effects of solvent treatment on paper and media

Long-term effects of solvent treatment on paper and media

From: Antoinette Dwan <adwan>
Date: Friday, May 21, 1999
This is in response to the question from Alison McKay and Muriel
Ehert-Gomes through Charles Davis requesting information about the
long term effects of solvent treatment on paper and media.

This is a hugh topic that many have addressed both in research and
more appropriately in careful daily practice. I would be happy to
discuss my practice regarding solvent use on paper, but I feel the
topic is too bulky for the Cons DistList. You can call 707-824-4742
or direct questions to adwan [at] wco__com. Others who have studied the
topic or who are very thoughtful in their approach are Dianne van
der Reyden at the Smithsonian CAL who has been conducting a research
project for years; Linda Stiber, Library of Congress, who teaches a
course at the Campbell center on solvents and paper. There are
several practicing conservators who have extremely well thought-out
approaches that I could direct you to. I think this is an area where
many have an excellent practice but before going on I'm wondering if
you are primarily interested in published research?

                   Distributed: Tuesday, May 25, 1999