Subject: Plaster consolidation

Plaster consolidation

From: Belen Cobb del Arco <bc>
Date: Wednesday, May 19, 1999
We are currently conserving a fibrous plaster (gypsum) panel which
was badly damaged when it was removed from its original location and
then badly stored for two decades. At the moment we are very
interested in testing consolidants for plaster as well as adhesives
for the reattachment of loose fragments.

The plaster is coming away from the hessian leaving a small gap, the
consolidant would have to fill that gap, some aggregates may need to
be added (we are planning on experimenting with fluid coke and
microballoons). So far the list of consolidants to be tested
includes Paraloids and Rhoplex but we would like to expand that with
other consolidants/adhesives.

Belen Cobo del Arco
National Museums of Scotland

                  Distributed: Thursday, May 20, 1999