Subject: Carrara marble

Carrara marble

From: Andrew Thorn <artcare>
Date: Friday, May 14, 1999
I am seeking references or unpublished data on aspects of the
composition of Carrara marble. I am particularly interested in
knowing the composition of the grey veining in lesser quality
material and also the cause of the irregular raised veins that
develop in severely eroded surfaces. These raised areas do not
correspond to any obvious change in texture.

If you know of references to these two properties I would be
grateful. We have undertaken some research on the removal of iron
staining from carrara marble and wish to substantiate a couple of
points prior to publication. Many thanks,

Andrew Thorn

                  Distributed: Thursday, May 20, 1999