Subject: Long-term effects of solvent treatment on paper and media

Long-term effects of solvent treatment on paper and media

From: Niccolo Caldararo <caldararo>
Date: Thursday, May 20, 1999
This is in answer to Alison McKay's query on solvent action on paper
in the removal of pressure-sensitive tapes.  This is a subject, the
long term effects of treatment, which I have endeavored to address
in research in my laboratory.  While I have published some results
(eg Studies in Conservation, 1996), the funding agencies for
conservation have rejected all proposals to undertake an organized
research program into such questions.  Aside from a few other
published studies, and Tom Stone's magnificent treatment survey
reported at AIC a few years ago, it would seem no one cares if
treatments have any adverse effects, as long as they do not show.

But to answer your question, I have been treating pressure sensitive
tapes for the past decade locally with solvents, based on the aging
characteristics of the tape adhesive (see Feller and Encke, "Stages
in deterioration: the examples of rubber cement and transparent
mending tape", IIC Preprints, 1992).  Now and then I use immersion
(see my article with R.A. Sheldon in Restaurator 13, 1992:1-13, "The
discovery of hidden drawings by backing removal: three examples
including a Charles Keene drawing").

Niccolo Caldararo
Director and Chief Conservator
Conservation Art Service