Subject: Databases and thesauri

Databases and thesauri

From: Markus Leuthard <markus.leuthard>
Date: Wednesday, May 19, 1999
This is in response to Anne Lisbeth Schmidt's inquiry about a data
base to record conservation treatments and condition reports. At the
Swiss National Museum conservation treatments have been recorded on
our museum data base since 1993. For conservation treatments and
conservation materials we have created thesauri, which allow a
certain standardization of the documentation. For the condition of
the objects we have no thesauri, but allow free documentation.

The concept of the data base has been published in Restauro 6/97.
The conservation data base is directly linked to our museum object
data base fulfilling an imported role of bringing all the
information concerning an object together. Since its introduction
the data base has become a very important tool in the conservators
daily life, because it not only acts as a documentation system but
also as an object management tool. For further information please
contact:

    Markus Leuthard
    Archaeological Conservator
    Swiss National Museum