Subject: Ivory and tortoise shell caddy

Ivory and tortoise shell caddy

From: Marie-Odile Robbins <westdean>
Date: Tuesday, May 18, 1999
This query is posted on behalf of Jamie Chatfield, Conservation and
Restoration of Furniture, West Dean College.

    Having removed all of the badly warped ivory veneer, we are now
    faced with the inherent problems of re-laying the ivory.

    How can the ivory be successfully stabilized to a sufficient
    level where by it can be glued to the substrate without lifting
    and recovering to its previous form?

    What glues can be used? We have tried animal glue, fish glue and
    conservation grade PVA.

    Will metallic pigments weaken the glue? eg. Titanium White? Some
    references recommend Zinc White.

Any help would be appreciated and will be relayed.

Marie-Odile Robbins
Librarian
West Dean College

                   Distributed: Tuesday, May 18, 1999