Subject: Accreditation

Accreditation

From: John McIntyre <j.mcintyre>
Date: Friday, May 14, 1999
I have been following the discussion on accreditation in the UK with
some interest and have been surprised by the feelings that have been
aroused in the US.  I have not been involved with the JAG so have no
connection other than being an interested party in the
library/archive conservation world. I have, however, served a 6 year
apprenticeship many years ago and since have been privileged to have
worked with many very competent people in conservation, both in the
US and the UK, at a time that has been unmatched for rapid and
serious development in raising standards and understanding. It seems
to me that what is being attempted  at present in the UK and Europe
is another stage in that process.

I welcome debate but see the comment on this matter now degenerating
as it displays misunderstanding and irrelevance.  Why is a
comparison being made to architects and lawyers?  Surely what
matters are the aims and objectives which have been stated very
clearly.

I am puzzled by some of Jack Thompson's statements. If he
understands European Union law then he has exceptional skills, but
perhaps he has claimed that by stating that he does not need a
teacher, quote  "I am an old English major who has learned that he
could translate what he read into the movement of tools at the
bench".   He also makes the incredible statement that he will only
be judged by people who pass his examination. And what has the Pound
Sterling or Euro got to do with all this?

Dundee is in Scotland not England but this is not an issue about
either country; it is a UK process strongly allied to a European
one.   Let's have debate but a serious one please.

John E McIntyre
Head of Preservation
The National Library of Scotland
George IV Bridge